Suspension and Expulsion
1. Suspension means “removal of a pupil from ongoing instruction for adjustment purposes.” However, suspension does not mean:
- Reassignment to another educational program or class at the same school where the pupil will receive continuing instruction for the length of day prescribed by the Governing Board for pupils of the same grade level.
- Referral to a certificated employee designated by the principal to advise pupils.
- Removal from the class, but without reassignment to another class or program, for the remainder of the class period without sending the pupil to the principal or the principal’s designee (suspension by a teacher).
2. Expulsion means “removal of a pupil from the immediate supervision and control, or the general supervision of school personnel” as those terms are used in E.C. 46300 for computing average daily attendance.
3. Principal’s Designee is “any one or more administrators at the school site specifically designated by the principal, in writing, to assist with disciplinary procedures.”
If there is not an administrator, in addition to the principal, at the school site, a certificated person at the school site may be specifically designated by the principal, in writing, “as a principal designee,” to assist with disciplinary procedures. The principal may designate only one such person at a time as the principal’s primary designee for the school year. The name of such person shall be on file in the principal’s office and in the office of the Superintendent’s designee.
An additional person meeting the requirements of this subdivision may be designated by the principal, in writing, to act for the purposes of this article when both the principal and the principal’s primary designee are absent from the school site. The name of the person shall be on file in the principal’s office and in the office of the Superintendent’s designee. (E.C. 48911[i])
- A day means “a calendar day” unless otherwise stated.
- A school day means “a day upon which the schools of the District are in session or weekdays during the summer recess.” (E.C. 48925[c])
- Pupil includes “a pupil’s parent, guardian, or legal counsel.”
- Board means the San Bernardino Governing Board.
- Sexual harassment is defined as unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal, visual, or physical conduct of a sexual nature, made by someone from or in the work or educational setting.