Student Internet Use Agreement
Please read this document carefully. Parent/guardian and student signatures are required before Internet access can be provided as part of the educational program.
The San Bernardino City Unified School District is taking great strides in the area of technology. We now have the ability to enrich your child’s education by providing Internet access. Internet is a worldwide network of computers. It allows your child the opportunity to access rich information sources, share information,learn concepts, and communicate with people from other parts of the country and the world.
Student Internet use will be supervised at all times and every effort will be made to protect students from any misuses or abuses. It is possible for users of the Internet (including your child) to access information that is intended for adults. Although SBCUSD has taken all reasonable steps to ensure the Internet connection is used only for purposes consistent with the curriculum, the District or school cannot prevent the availability of, nor even begin to identify, inappropriate material elsewhere on the Internet. Computer security cannot be made perfect, and it is likely that a determined student could make use of computer resources for inappropriate purposes.
SBCUSD believes that the benefits to students from access to the Internet far exceed any potential disadvantages.SBCUSD supports and respects each family’s right to decide whether or not to apply for Internet access.
Individuals using the District network are subject to having all network activities monitored by District personnel. Anyone using these systems expressly consents to such monitoring. Any violations of the terms and conditions may result in disciplinary action,the revoking of Internet access, and appropriate legal action. Users of the San Bernardino City Unified School District electronic network are expected to abide by the generally accepted rules of network etiquette.
Using the network is a privilege, not a right,and the privilege may be revoked at any time for unacceptable conduct.
Unacceptable conduct includes the following:
- Using the network for illegal, inappropriate, or obscene purpose, or in support of such activities,is prohibited. Illegal activities shall be defined as a violation of local, state, and/or federal laws. Inappropriate use shall be defined as violation of the intended purposes, goals or use of the network by students. Obscene activities shall be defined as a violation of generally accepted social standards.
- Using the network in violation of copyright laws or other contracts.
- Using the network for commercial gain.
- Degrading or disrupting equipment or system performance including the spreading of viruses.
- Vandalizing the data of another user.
- Gaining unauthorized access to resources or entities.
- Invading the privacy of individuals.
- Using an account owned by another user without authorization.
- Posting personal communications without the author’s consent.
- Posting anonymous messages.
- Using abusive, sexist, racist, or otherwise objectionable language in either public or private messages.
- Sending of “Chain letters,” “broadcast” messages or any other types of use, which would cause congestion of the network or otherwise interfere with the work of others.
- Using the network in an unethical manner.